Astronomy of Cosmic Rays
Location and transportation
workshop venue is the auditorium of the KIAA. The KIAA is
marked on the northern tip of the campus map. Please note
that the route from the PKU ZhongGuan Global
Village hotel (or ZhongGuanXinYuan), which is to
the east of the campus east gate, to the KIAA has been marked, and it is
about 25min walk. You can visit the KIAA visitor info page for more local
You will arrive at
Beijing Capital Airport (PEK) Terminal 2 or Terminal 3 (both serve
international). We recommend taking a taxi to get to the hotel (nearby Peking University) from the airport. On arrival in the terminal
please follow big signs on the floor to the regular taxi queue (basement
Terminal 3, ground floor Terminal 2). There regular taxis are waiting, and
guards are organizing the queue.
Some hints for taxi use in Beijing
1. Never follow normal persons offering you a taxi ride somewhere in the terminal or even near the taxi queue, they are illegal and overcharge you.
2. The normal fee from the airport to PKU or your hotel should be about RMB 90-110.
3. Beijing taxis have a meter, and drivers are in the overwhelming majority very honest, but they usually don't speak English. So under any circumstances print out some Chinese pages or papers which show your final destination in Chinese.
4. The motorway fee of RMB 10 and sometimes (depending of the day's gas price) a fuel/gas surcharge of RMB 1 are charged in addition to the meter price. After your payment you should receive up to three receipts for all parts of the payment (meter charge, motorway fee, and occasional fuel surcharge).
5. In case you have any problems or complaints to report, please write down the driver’s license number, which is clearly displayed with photoID of the driver in front of the passenger’s seat. Also, at the airport, near the top of the taxi waiting queue you can pick up an English leaflet of the airport authority on how to travel safely by taxi in Beijing.
If you have not too heavy luggage, and don't mind some 10-15 minutes easy walking, it is possible to reach the hotel and the conference venue (KIAA-PKU) by subway. Beijing has a very efficient local traffic network. This is a subway network map (please print it out). The subway including ticket machines is bilingual (Chinese and English) and easy to navigate for foreigners. A subway trip cost a flat fare of RMB 2 including all changes. Exception: The airport express has to be paid separately, with RMB 25 per trip.
From other places to the hotel
Although you can still take taxies, those who take trains to Beijing can easily reach the hotel (and KIAA-PKU) as well by public transportations. We provide here the latest subway network map (please print it out). The total charge (with all internal changes from different subway lines) of Subways will be 2 RMB.
After you get off the subways or buses, you will need to walk about 300 meters to reach the hotel. Please find the map here. Below is some detailed information.
Directly take subway Line 4 to "East Gate of Peking University" station.
Please take subway Line 2 first, and then change to Line 4 at "Xuanwumen Station" or "Xizhimen Station". The destination is "East Gate of Peking University" station (Subway Line 4).
Unfortunately it is not convenient to reach Subways from Beijing West Railway Station. You can reach PKU by Bus No. 319 (to "Lanqiying" station) or No. 320 (to "Zhongguan Yuan" station).
General Advice how to get around
selected further web information on Beijing and Travel and Tours in Beijing:
Note that putting these links is to help you gathering information only. It does not mean we can take any guarantee for offers made on these webpages. However, to our best knowledge we think these are useful and should create no problem.